ED Specialist in Huntsville, AL
The board-certified urologists at Urology Specialists, P.C. are highly trained in diagnosing and treating ED. With over twenty years of experience providing urologic care to men throughout the Huntsville area including Madison, Athens, and Decatur, our urologists will be sure to find the treatment option that is right for you.
ED Treatment Options
Talking with a medical specialist is the first step in getting the proper treatment for erectile dysfunction. This process begins with a physical exam that can include a full analysis of your vascular system, nervous system, thyroid, prostate, and genitals. Once a patient's particular cause of ED has been identified, our urologists will be able to give their expert recommendations on which type of treatment will offer the best solution for that individual. Common treatment options include:
- Shockwave therapy
- Psychological counseling
- Lifestyle changes
- Drug therapy
- Penile pumps
- Penile implants
What is Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile Dysfunction: It’s common, and it’s treatable.
If you are dealing with erectile dysfunction (ED), you are not alone: nearly one in every four men over sixty-five will experience some degree of erectile dysfunction.1 Younger men often struggle with ED as well. By taking the time to educate yourself about ED, you’ve made an important first step in finding a solution to erectile dysfunction (impotence).
Erectile Dysfunction is the consistent inability to sustain an erection sufficient for sexual intercourse.
Erectile Dysfunction can be:
- A total inability to achieve an erection – You can never get an erection.
- An inconsistent ability to do so – You can only occasionally get an erection.
- A tendency to sustain only brief erections – You can get an erection, but can’t keep it long enough for satisfying sex.
What Causes ED?
As a result of recent medical research, it is now known that more than 80% of men suffering from ED can trace its origin to a physical problem or disorder.
For most men, the cause of ED can now be fairly easily identified. Once identified, proper treatment can be recommended that may help you return them to a satisfying sex life.
ED can be caused by physical disorders such as:
- An injury (i.e. brain or spinal cord)
- A disease (i.e. diabetes, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol)
- Various studies have estimated that between 20% – 71% of individuals with diabetes suffer from erectile dysfunction.2
- An operation (i.e. prostate gland removal)
- Substance use (i.e. tobacco, drugs, alcohol or medications)
Other facts about Erectile Dysfunction (Impotence):
- Approximately 30 million American men suffer from erectile dysfunction.
- Most men with erectile dysfunction still have the ability to have an orgasm and father a child, but often have difficulty doing these things because they can’t get or sustain an erection.
- Erectile dysfunction is not normal and is by no means an inevitable consequence of aging.
- Most men at one time or another during their sexual lives are unable to get or keep an erection. This is normal and does not indicate a problem. However, millions of men of all ages experience this inability as a continuing problem.
- In most cases, erectile dysfunction can be overcome.
- Rosen R, et al. The process of care model for evaluation and treatment of erectile dysfunction. Int’l J. Impotence Research. 1999; 11, 59-74,
- Penson D, et al. Erectile Dysfunction in Diabetic Patients. Diabetes Spectrum. 2004, Vol 17, No. 4, 225-230.
Schedule a ED Treatment Consultation in Huntsville
If you are experiencing symptoms of ED, contact the highly experienced urologists at Urology Specialists, PC for an appointment today. They will take the time to fully evaluate your symptoms and thoroughly discuss your treatment options. Call (256) 882-3605 for an appointment, or request an appointment online.